Sunday, January 31, 2010

C is for Composting

My very first composting experience resulted in my breeding a healthy colony of maggots which completely grossed me out. Having searched the internet to find directions in constructing a compost bin, I settled on a lidded metal trash can with holes poked in on the sides. My thinking was that I could roll it around to mix the contents and not have to stir it. Mistake. Not only did I have too much “green”, vegetable and fruit waste, and not enough “brown”, dried leaves and paper, I added too much water and kept the lid on which did not give the mixture enough air. So, the little critters grew and I stopped composting.

A few years later, I got some info about making a bin using wooden palettes and threw one together with jute twine. It worked great. Fortunately I do not have a dog that is interested in rotting vegetables and the other wildlife in my backyard don't seem to bother with it either. After a season of composting, I added an addition of two more palettes so I could have one side resting and decomposing while the other side is actively getting filled up with fresh waste and leaves. This system seems to work fine although I do not generate a large amount of organic kitchen waste, it is a great way to lessen the amount of trash I send to the city's landfill.

Some folks shy away from composting because they think that it is going to smell and attract pests. I think that the smelliest part of the operation can be the plastic bucket next to the sink. If I don't empty it on a daily basis, the scent of that decomposing organic matter can get pretty rank. Another deterrent for others may be finding the right location for a pile. My site is about 20 steps out my back door, so I'll dump the rotting stuff in the plastic bucket in my kitchen more often which makes for a handy location in the corner of my yard. Of course there are others who just can't have an open bin or pile. For them, there are a plethora of composting set ups that can be commercially purchased ($$$) for apartment dwellers or those with small yards or shared common spaces. Search the internet for various other designs of composting bins that suit your needs and lifestyle.

Here are a few things to remember about composting.
  1. No protein, meat or dairy products in your compost.

  2. Keep the pile damp, not too wet, but like a wrung out sponge.

  3. Turn it every time you add something to it.

  4. Try to keep a 50/50 mix of “green” to “brown”.

  5. Add manure to create a richer mixture.

  6. Stop adding organic matter to the pile and let it rest for a few months before you spread it around your garden.

  7. Pee on your pile. That's right, the nitrogen in urine helps decompose the pile faster. I have also read that pickle juice is good too.

Composting creates a circle of sustainability from growing plant matter, to human consumption, to decomposition and to growing plant matter again. You can start composting today.


3 comments:

  1. i still want to buy that silly thing from costco so i can cover it up and spin. it will be like playing bingo with my compost

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know and you should. Just do it and get composting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hace been composting for several years. A few years back, I invested in a turnstyle composter and I love it. Your video was great. I never knew I could also add dryer lint. I do add coffee filter along with the grounds. Thanks.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete