Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bluebonnet Blanket

Right about the time of Spring Break and South by Southwest around mid March I start scouring the sides of the highways and checking the weather report. I scan the grassy edges and medium of Mopac just hoping to catch a glimpse of the first brave bluebonnet beginning to bloom. The early risers begin to show after it rains and I am amazed beyond belief because within a day or two, carpets of bluebonnets blanket the byways. It's hard to keep my eyes on the road and not get into a wreck. I can't stop looking at the flowers because they are SO FREAKIN' BEAUTIFUL. Each new patch appears more stunning than the last. How can that be? A purplish shag carpet of nature's beauty hanging out on the side of the road.

Thank you Lady Bird and Mother Nature for your ongoing symphony that begins when the days start to warm and the nights are still cool and continues on through the dog days of summer and beyond. They are Texas Paintbrush, Mexican Blanket, Prairie Phlox, Pink Evening Primrose, Black-eyed Susan to name just a few since there are more than 48 varieties in the Hill Country alone. Each flower blooms at its own special time to keep me amused and amazed and make me smile. The wildflowers bloom without knowing how beautiful they really are and how happy they make me. What Grace.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea, I like your blog! I am trying to do it too and like your hints. We have tiny trees that might be a food forest in our yard someday!! I want to learn to can and will follow your recipe. Best, Lisa Orr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    Fantastic Blog! Thanks for sharing. I will keep reading it. Interesting topic!
    ~~Heather G.

    ReplyDelete